H-4 & EAD

On May 26 of this year, new regulation allowing certain H-4 visa holders to obtain an employment authorization document (EAD) came into effect. Some of the key points to keep in mind are the following:

  • H-4 EADs are not limited by deadlines or number. Any number of filings can be made at any time. As long as you are eligible, you may renew your benefits.
  • In order to file for the H-4 EAD, you must hold H-4 status, and you must be in the United States. H-4 status is only held while a person is in the United States.
  • If you have applied for a change to H-4 status, but do not yet hold that status, avoid traveling outside the U.S. If you travel abroad while a change of status is pending, your EAD will be denied. If you must travel outside the U.S., you can refile an EAD application after returning to the U.S.
  • The H-4 EAD grants unrestricted employment authorization to the holder. You can work full-time, part-time, or on-and-off for any employer. You can also be self-employed, start your own business, and hire other individuals (as long as they are authorized to work in the U.S.).
  • An EAD only grants employment authorization NOT travel authorization. Unless you are a Canadian citizen, you need an H-4 visa stamp issued by a U.S. consulate abroad in order to come back to the U.S. with H-4 status.
  • You may file an H-4 EAD application at the same time as an application to change or extend H-4 status. You may also file the primary applicant’s H-1B extension at the same time as applications to change or extend H-4 status, as well as EAD applications.
  • If you are awaiting decision on a previously filed application for change or extension of status (I-539 form), it is better to wait for the decision on the I-539 form before filing the EAD application. This is because the USCIS cannot guarantee that they will be able to match the EAD application with the pending I-539 form.

To learn whether you qualify for a H-4 EAD or have questions about the H-4 Change of Status and H-4 EAD contact our office at 312-857-5402 for prompt assistance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s