Citizenship & Naturalization

Those residing in the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs) for a period of 4 years and 9 months may file for naturalization.  If the LPR is married to a U.S. citizen the LPR may file after only 2 years and 9 months of residence.  Among other things, the LPR has to establish that the residence was uninterrupted (“continuous”), that he/she possesses “good moral character,” (i.e. he/she did not make a false claim to U.S. citizenship among other things), in addition to a basic demonstration of proficiency in U.S. history and civics. Contact HBM Law Offices to help you find legal remedies (i.e. waivers and defense) if you lack any of the requirements.

Military Personnel & Family Members

U.S. armed forces who are or will be deployed and their dependents (spouses and children) may be eligible for expedited naturalization for overseas processing. Helping military personnel is special to Himani because she witnessed firsthand the hardships and sacrifices the servicemen and women make to serve the U.S. during her work in Iraq. HBM Law Offices would be honored to help military personnel with the immigration process and offers a special rate for military personnel clients.

U.S. Citizen & LPR Expats

What U.S. laws, immigration compliance requirements, government benefits, and consequences of living abroad affect expats depends on your legal immigration status. To learn more about US Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), retirement benefits available to you, and how to comply with U.S. immigration laws while living abroad under the current administration, contact HBM Law Offices.

Relinquishing of U.S. Citizenship

The act of relinquishing U.S. Citizenship is irrevocable, except when the applicant who renounced his/her U.S. citizenship before the age of 18 makes that desire to have his/her citizenship reinstated known to the Department of State within 6 months of attaining the age of 18. Renouncing U.S. citizenship may not relieve the U.S. citizen of his/her tax or military service nor avoid repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizen abroad. Relinquishment cannot be canceled or set aside without successful administrative or judicial appeal, which requires help from an immigration attorney.  Please contact HBM Law Offices to receive assistance on how to re-establish U.S. citizenship.